Sunday, February 1, 2009

Not much of an update

I figure it's been far too long since I've last posted here, and I did some pseudo-Geocaching activities today so...

So far January has been terrible in terms of weather. For the past couple of weeks it's been very cold, and more recently very snowy. For about a week straight we were only seeing highs around 10-15 degrees, with lows well below zero (-17.9 was the coldest that I recorded on my home thermometer). We have been having a little snow here and there, but gathered about 6"-8" last week. According to the local weather reports we've had about 20" of snow for January, which doubles our normal average.

Today though was very nice. We had a high around 50 and the sun was shining brightly. Dewgrl and I decided to head out to check on one of my caches. Normally this cache requires a boat, but there have been a few logs recently stating that it was accessible by hiking. We had a rather dry summer, so the water levels are far below normal.

We went to check it out, and sure enough we were able to walk to it without crossing any water, or ice. Unfortunately I forgot to bring along some wire to tie it down, so I'll need to head back out there. Once spring hits the reservoir fills back up, and usually floods. If the ammo can isn't tied to a tree, then it'll float away. The original wire I used lasted about 2 years before it rusted through. This past summer I tied it up again using some nylon string, knowing it would only be temporary. When we arrived it appeared the string was chewed through (there was also bits of an Osage Orange on top of the cache, so I assume some squirrels were picnicking there.). I'm thinking this time I'll try some small gauge chain as a more permanent solution. I'm hoping to get out there in the next day or two while I can still hike to it.

I know, it's kind of worthless without pictures, but there wasn't much to see anyhow. Everything was still pretty well snow covered. Maybe when I run out there again I'll bring the camera along.

No comments: