Sunday, July 1, 2007

blah blah blah....racing...blah blah blah

It's been a little while since I've posted here. Mainly because I've been busy, I haven't had much time for Waymarking or caching lately. I did manage to get up to Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course this weekend, and Waymark it, but it wasn't my main goal in going there.

Normally I head to the Pontiac Excitement Nationals for the pro NHRA drag racing, at National Trail Raceway. This year the moved it a little further away to Norwalk Raceway Park. I haven't been to that track in years, and I kind of wanted to go up there since they've updated the place, and this is the first year they've held an NHRA event. On the other hand I've always wanted to go to Mid-Ohio, since I've never been there but heard plenty about it. My father grew up near there and if I remember correctly he worked there for a little while during his youth. I've never asked, but I sort of suspect he may have raced there, or at least been around the track. He mentioned before that he knew the original owner very well, and my dad owned several different British sports cars when he was young...so putting 2&2 together....Anyhow, like I said, he talks about Mid-Ohio frequently, and I always wanted to get up there. I guess I always thought I wouldn't enjoy it as much since I always enjoyed drag racing, and NASCAR so much. I've watched plenty of road course events on TV, and found it a little hard to follow.

So I was left with the choice, drive almost twice as far and pay over twice as much for a ticket to go to Norwalk, or go to Mid-Ohio for the Vintage Grand Prix. Cheaper all the way around won out, and I have to say I'm really glad I changed my "tradition." I enjoyed the racing, the track and the atmosphere immensely. I think I've even found a new favorite racing genre. I guess seeing it live is a completely different experience. I now see where road courses are much more about the driver and the track, than it is about the cars. In drag racing, and NASCAR, a poor driver can still do well if the crew can manage to dial the car in just right. It just doesn't seem to be as much of a challenge to the driver when compared to road courses. Mid-Ohio was just a great place to spend a day. I also found that the food and souvenirs were cheaper than what they've been at most other races I've been to, so that was a nice bonus.

Today was spent cleaning up my Jeep and putting the interior back together so I can sell it. I don't really want to get rid of it, but I rarely drive it anymore, and can use the garage space, so it's gotta go.

No comments: