Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Waymarking and Google Earth

I see now that you can download Waymarks into Google Earth. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, as the laptop I'm posting this from runs very slowly (need to burn a bunch of Waymarking photos to CD and free up some room, among other things.)

I think this is a pretty cool deal. For me personally, it'll mostly just fill some free time, looking around at different waymarks on GE. It is one step closer to .GPX and PQs. For me those aren't that big of a deal. If I want to visit some Waymarks, it's still just as easy to download waypoints using .LOC files....I really don't need to take the entire description of a place with me at all times. I only need to know the logging requirements, and I'm good to go. I guess I don't understand why there are folks out there who refuse to participate in Waymarking just because .GPX files aren't available. Sure, it means the Waymarking site and functionality is different from Geocaching....but that's the whole point of Waymarking being a separate site.

No comments: