Saturday, June 2, 2007

Hikenutty's reply...

A few days ago I mentioned having posted over 100 Waymarks in the Ohio Historic Markers category, to which Hikenutty replied. I was going to reply to that, but I figured I'd just do it as another entry since I realized that what I had to say was a little lengthy.

Having posted that many in that category really goes back to how I started in Waymarking. When Waymarking first came around, I looked at it, but I wasn't all that interested. There was nothing about Waymarking that turned me off, as a matter of fact, I had always enjoyed locationless caches, it was just that I was too lazy to take a couple of minutes to really explore the site. A few months later in some of the local Geocaching forums there was a challenge thrown out to try to get the Ohio Historic Markers above the Pennsylvania Historic Markers in terms of being the largest. For what it's worth, PA currently has more Waymarks listed in their category than Ohio has markers in the entire state....in other words, no way we'll ever win.

So from there I decided that I can certainly help in the effort, and I've always enjoyed stopping to look at the markers when I run across them. My first foray into Waymarking was solely in Ohio Historic Markers, and I took a couple of trips around through other parts of the state, just to mark historic markers. One day I decided to finally sit down and see what else Waymarking had to offer, and realized that it is really appealing to me. So a lot of the reason that my numbers are so high in that category is that I concentrated just on that one category for a while before getting into full-blown Waymarking. Because of that I feel that my numbers appear a little inflated for the category, but who cares, since I've had fun with it just the same.

No comments: