Sunday, March 25, 2007

Unplanned Waymarking

Dewgrl and I ended up doing a little impromptu waymarking this afternoon.  I headed up to Prospect to visit my folks, and on the way grabbed a truss bridge, benchmark, a river gauging station, and an airport.  After leaving there, I got another truss bridge, then headed further up into Marion.  My intention was to grab some lunch, and head to the library to try to get some information about a few other waymarks that I have in my backlog.

In Marion I didn't intend to do any waymarking, even though I know there are many around town.  I did grab two places on the National Register of Historic Places, the city hall, a bell, a time capsule, and the municipal flag.  Then I went to eat, and visited the library.

The library ended up not having much information, which wasn't surprising since it's in a different county from where the waymarks are that I was looking up.  I just figured it would be a good start since that library has a more extensive section on Ohio history than the one in Delaware county.  Maybe I'll stop by the Delaware County historical society one of these days.

On the way home I stopped in Waldo for a mecca of waymarking.  At the town hall there (1), there are two cannons (2-3), a bell (4), a WWI memorial (5), a WWII memorial (6), an Ohio historical marker (7), all in front of the hall, along with a warning siren (8) on the top.  Right behind the hall is the fire house (9)...which wasn't open so I couldn't get the fire trucks inside.  Across the street is an independent pizza joint (10), a post office (11), and another place that may or may not fall into a category (12?)...on down the road is a community park (12 or 13), which has a playground (13 or 14).

I planned to go home after that, but we decided to visit another little town nearby to see if any waymarks could be found.  There we found another warning siren, a water tower, library, town clock, 2 payphones, post office, independent pizza place, town hall, fire department, community park with playground, and outdoor basketball court, and a 100+ year old church.  Just up the road is a "country church" that was a significant part of the underground railroad.

Following that we ran a couple more errands, then headed back to Delaware where we checked on a couple places that are waymarkable, which they are, but it was getting too dark to get decent pictures.  But now we know where they are and how to get there to record them later.  Finally we hit the local Wal-mart to grab a few things...and of course waymark it, and headed home.

All in all it ended up being a very good day for waymarking, however it's put me even further into backlog.  It seems I'll never get caught up on these things.

An interesting thing I noticed today about waymarking is that when you stop for one waymark, you end up noticing many other things that are often nearby.  What normally seems like it's going to be a minute or two to getting some pics, and coordinates often turns into a half hour or so of documenting everything nearby.

I should be getting to bed, since I'm getting up in about 4 hours or so to run down to the local Circuit City, as they're supposed to have Nintendo Wii's available.  Gotta get there early to get in line, as I've been wanting one since they were released in November.  I've already picked up several games, and accessories in anticipation, but I've not been able to get my hands on one yet.  Hopefully tomorrow (or later this morning, for that matter) will be the day!

No comments: