Saturday, March 31, 2007

Map Corps and Waymarking.

As I mentioned in my last posting, I spent some time today grabbing a few more waymarks and working to complete my current quad. It was relatively uneventful, and I didn't spend as much time as I had anticipated at either activity since it has been raining and dreary all day today.

I did manage to get 17 new waymarks while out there. These included a Quonset hut, a cannon, WWI memorial, a peace pole, old church, ice cream stand, water tower, Dairy Queen, fire house, SuperFund site (thanks Hikenutty for approving that one so quickly), outdoor basketball court, playground, community park, Masonic Lodge, observatory, and a U.S. National Register of Historic Places....uhhhh place....I also got a bowling alley, but I'll have to get more information before I list it, and I thought I had a welcome sign, however I didn't pay close enough attention to the category before to see that it has to have a slogan on in....obviously the one I marked doesn't.

I managed to get a few of them listed already this afternoon, but I still have some work ahead of me to get 'em all up there.

The only excitement for the day was my visit to the SuperFund site which is the Delaware Landfill. I wasn't sure about going out there this afternoon, since I really wasn't sure if it fit the category or not. Looking at the other sites posted in the category, they had much more information pertinent to their sites. This one I found had very little. I decided to head out there anyhow and grab the coords and some pics. I first stopped at the main which was closed, locked, and posted that it was closed permanently. I grabbed the coords and a picture there, and headed over to the other gate. I found that one to be open, but I didn't try to go any further in. I stopped my car right at the gate and got a few more pictures. As I was jotting down some information a Delaware City Police office came around the corner in his SUV. I had to back up to let him through and he came up beside me. I worried that I was going to get ticketed for trespassing. He asked what I was doing there, and I explained. He told me that they had been having trouble with illegal dumping there and he wanted to make sure I was "tossing out some beer bottles." I apologized for causing any alarm and he left, as did I right behind him. it all just sort of surprised me since there is on the one way in, and I didn't see anyone back there. I guess maybe they are patrolling the area due to the problems they've been having out there. Seems to me they should lock the second gate to help stop that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Valley of Fire Master Plan meeting is planned for mMay 6,7, go online to the Nevada Division of State Parks website to get the times etc... geocaching is on the agenda!