Monday, April 2, 2007

A history lesson from Ebay?

Who knew that you could learn about local history on Ebay? This evening I sat down with the intention of posting a few waymarks. I got one listed in the National Register; The Palace Theater, in Marion, Ohio, which is currently pending approval. I started thinking about the Picture Perfect Postcards category and thought I would run a quick search on Ebay to see what vintage postcards there are for Delaware, and the surrounding areas. That way I can avoid any copyright issues by not "borrowing" pictures off the net. So I punch "Delaware, Ohio" into the Ebay search and see something about a camera, called a Ciro 35, in the results. Upon clicking on it the description reads that this camera was made during the 40's and 50's here in Delaware. I had never known that cameras were ever made in this little town. Upon further research I find the company started in Detroit, moved here to Delaware for a few years, and then was bought-out and moved to Rochester, NY.

The first camera I came across on Ebay was not working, but I refined my search and found another one that is supposed to be in perfect working order. Having an interest in photography, vintage/antique cameras, and local history....I just had to have it. The working camera had a BIN on it, so I took care of that right away, and also placed a bid on the non-working one. I don't have any vintage cameras yet, so these are perfect to start my collection. I'm looking forward to getting it (or them if I win the 2nd one) to use them, and get to know a little more about the cameras.

I did manage to snag a few old postcards to use for the Waymarking category, and they will also make nice collectibles. Sticking with my joy of history, I always like to look at old photographs and postcards that show how things used to be.

Completely off topic, I wonder why the "exhausted" smiley face guy is crying? I clicked on it by accident when picking my "mood." When I'm exhausted, I'm just tired....not sad and crying...odd.

No comments: