Wednesday, May 9, 2007

1/2 Ciro 35 Cameras arrived

I received the first of the two Ciro 35's that I mentioned earlier. This one is the one that is not functioning. The shutter was stuck open, and I assumed that the shutter blades needed cleaned. I managed to get it apart, and found the blades to be a little dirty, but still lightly oiled. I don't have the right kind of lubricant to return it back to a "like-new" state, plus I noticed this wasn't the first time the camera was opened. The heads of some of the screws were stripped a little, and at least two of the shutter springs were missing....I think I also lost another one. I did, however, manage to get everything back together. The shutter is now closed, but still not functioning, so I think this one is just going to be a display, even though the paint on parts of the body is a little rough. I had never before taken a camera apart, so this little exercise made me realize that I should never go into camera repair. There are far too many little screws and bits, and my hands are far too unsteady to make a career out of that. Considering this is a simple camera from 60 years ago, I can't even begin to imagine opening up a modern film, or digital camera.

As promised, here are some pics of it. I apologize for the odd color in some of the pics. The best lighting here in my humble abode happens to be on the stove. I didn't figure you all wanted to see my stove top, so I grabbed a sheet, which happens to be an olive green sort of color, to cover it up.

The Ciro 35 and its case


The front of the camera



Back



Back, with back removed. To replace the film the entire back of the camera slides off.



Top


Bottom


Camera in its case. I image many vintage camera are similar, however I like that the camera is fully operational when in its case. You can just unsnap it, lower the cover, and shoot. There is even a piece on the bottom that screws into the tripod mount which allowed you to mount the camera, in its case, on a tripod, and also secures the camera in its case.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just to let you know, the Alphax shutter isn't supposed to have ANY oil in it. Even the smallest amount of oil will cause the shutter blades to stick, because they're not made of metal.

I've been working on compiling Ciro 35 serial numbers to document the variations of these cameras, if you could find the serial number of yours it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.