Tuesday, May 22, 2007

How quickly time passes

I realized it has been a while since I've posted here. I've just been a little busy lately with class starting, getting the details ironed out for the trip to Hawaii, and other little things here and there.

I've still been doing a fair amount of Waymarking, in spite of the fact that it's been a while since I posted any. A couple of weekends ago I grabbed a few Waymarks in downtown Columbus, since I was there. I marked the LeVeque Tower which falls into several categories; The US Register of Historic Places, Skyscrapers, and Art Deco - Art Nouveau. I took a lot of pics of this building, as it's pretty much my favorite in Columbus. It's just very pleasing to look at, and it's unique in its design as compared to the other buildings downtown. I also Waymarked the Santa Maria Replica. I have several others that I haven't yet listed, including 3 Ohio Historic Markers, 3 Neon Signs, the Capitol building, a couple theaters, a couple more skyscrapers, a few US Register locations, a fire fighter memorial, a lion statue, a space flight memorial, and probably a few others that I'm forgetting. I also found several spots on Capital University's campus that can be Waymarked, but I've just never remembered to bring both my GPS and camera to class with me at the same time.

This past weekend Dewgrl and I took a trip over to Pittsburgh because she wanted to get some bookshelves from the Ikea there. That happens to be the closest one to us, and I like visiting Pittsburgh anyhow. I never knew much about Pittsburgh until my brother moved there briefly several years ago. I spent the weekend with him once and he showed me around some of the interesting features of the city that he had found. A few years later I traveled there several times when I was attending the University of Akron. I originally was attending college for a degree in Communications with which I would seek a career in radio broadcasting...long story short that bubble was soon burst, and I decided to change majors. While there I participated with the college radio station (88.1 fm WZIP), which at that time was the biggest college radio station in the US in terms of listener-ship...I'm not sure if it still is, since that was a while ago, but I would have to imagine it still holds true. The next closest college radio station was about 1/2 our size. I'm getting way off topic here.....Anyhow I had an on-air shift (Wednesday 9p-Midnight), and did weather, news, sports, and helped a little with production. The sports piece of it had me driving to Pittsburgh once in a while to cover Penguins' games and interview players. It was this that introduced me to, and hooked me on hockey.

So anyhow, on the way to Pittsburgh we stopped to Waymark one of the newest Ohio Historical Markers, which also should fit into the Firsts category. We also visited a couple of out of the way cemeteries, which will fit into Worldwide Cemeteries, of course, and weird story locations, as well as one spot that may fit into the firsts category as well. In Pittsburgh, we grabbed the bookcases, then headed up to Cranberry, PA visiting a couple of Waymarks along the way, and then grabbed dinner, and a couple of cases of beer that I like that I can't find at home. From there we headed back into downtown Pittsburgh. While in the area I always like to stop at an overlook of the city called Mt. Washington. The Leprechauns had Waymarked another spot in the Cityscapes category that I had never heard of, he/they also have a cache there, so I decided to check it out. In spite of getting lost and dealing with traffic in the dark and rain, it ended up being a truly rewarding spot. There was no one else there, unlike Mt. Washington which is very popular among locals to hang out, and tourists to visit, and the view was beautiful. I have to give Leps many thanks again for bringing me there, as I wouldn't have known about it otherwise, and it has now given me a better spot to visit when I'm in town.

Let's see.....Sunday was spent stopping in at a Historical Museum for a very small little town (Radnor) a little north of where I live. I had been trying to get in there for a while, but they hold odd hours. They just happened to be open when I went by on my way elsewhere, so I stopped. There wasn't a ton of stuff to see, however everything in the museum was owned/worn/used/made/whatever by local residents of the little town, so it was interesting to see its history. From there I visited with my brother for a bit, then Dewgrl and I went out to see if a certain cemetery was open to the public yet, and then visited with her family for a bit.

The cemetery that I mentioned is the Phillip Dryer Cemetery just outside of Marion, Ohio. This cemetery was pretty much lost for a while, and then someone basically stumbled upon it and started campaigning to restore and save the cemetery. From vague reports I've read the cemetery sits on the edge of an old quarry, and had started to fall in, plus it was somewhat vandalized, or it's an active quarry and they wanted to mine the land the cemetery sits on...or something, I don't honestly remember now. They eventually restored the cemetery. There was an article in the Marion Star newspaper a few weeks ago stating that they had officially dedicated it. Between the time it was rediscovered and now, we found where the cemetery is. It sits far back in a farm field in a small wooded patch. There is a gravel drive leading to it, but there is a gate at the road that is locked with a sign stating to call the trustees giving 48hrs notice if you would like to visit the cemetery. Since neither of us have any relatives buried there, that we know of, we didn't really want to bother anyone to come out there just so we could look around a little. Since it was recently dedicated we thought maybe it was openly available now, but that's not the case. It's still locked up.

Well that was certainly long winded enough, and I really should be doing homework, so...uhhhh....I don't know, insert some witty exit statement here.

No comments: